Applying and Admissions

  1. Can I apply directly to HKU as well as the Dual Degree?
    Yes, if you would like to apply directly to HKU as well as the Dual Degree program with UC Berkeley, you can. In order to apply directly to HKU, follow the instructions and guidelines on their website. The supplemental application will still be required for admission to the Dual Degree.

  2. Do I need to take the SAT to get in?
    Yes, all students regardless of nationality or place of residence must take the SAT with Essay or the ACT with writing in order to be considered for admission to the program. There are no exceptions to this requirement.

  3. Can I apply to other Dual Degree programs with HKU?
    Yes, you can apply to other universities that offer a Dual Degree with HKU.

  4. Can I apply to Berkeley as a regular four-year student in addition to the Dual Degree?
    By nature of applying to the program, you have also applied to Berkeley as a regular degree-seeking student. If accepted to the Dual Degree Program, you could choose to go to Berkeley for all four years instead.

  5. If I don't get into the Dual Degree, can I still attend Berkeley?
    If accepted to Berkeley, but not to HKU, then yes, you could still attend Berkeley.

  6. Is Chinese Language Required?
    Courses at the HKU are taught in English. No Chinese is necessary to do the program. Of course, if you would like to learn Chinese once at HKU, that is available!

  7. Can AP or IB credit count towards the program?
    If you have AP or IB credit from high school, those test scores will give you units towards your degree at UC Berkeley. They may also be used to satisfy major and/or college requirements at UC Berkeley depending on the major you choose.

Program Academics

  1. Can I study engineering in the Dual Degree?
    No, unfortunately, engineering is not in the College of Letters and Science, and therefore not available to students in this program.

  2. What if I want to study something at UC Berkeley or HKU outside of the majors listed?
    There are many majors available to you at HKU and at UC Berkeley as part of this program. If the major you are interested in is not listed, it is likely that it is not possible to major in it as part of the Dual Degree Program. If you have questions about this, please email

  3. Can I double major at UC Berkeley in this program?
    It may be possible to do a double major at Berkeley while in the Dual Degree Program but depends on what major you want to pursue and the number of courses you have to take. For more information please email

  4. Can I do the same major at UC Berkeley and HKU or do they have to be different?
    You can choose to do the same major or two different ones, it is up to you. 


  1. Can I use my financial aid for the first two years at HKU?
    As of right now, no. Financial aid can only be used for the second two years at Berkeley.

  2. Can I meet with someone to talk about the program before I apply?
    Yes! The program coordinator will meet with prospective students throughout the year. Go to the events page to see if one of our upcoming info sessions fits your schedule. If not, feel free to contact her via to schedule an in-person meeting, phone, or Skype call.

  3. Can I be connected to a current student?
    Yes. Send an email to to request to get connected to a current student in the program.

  4. What degrees will I get after completion of the program?
    You will get a Bachelor of Social Sciences or a Bachelor of Arts in whatever you major in at HKU, and a Bachelor of Arts in whatever major you choose at UC Berkeley (i.e. if you choose Politics and Public Administration at HKU and History at UCB, you would earn a Bachelor of Social Sciences in Politics and Public Administration and Bachelor of Arts in History).